Monday, August 20, 2018

JN201 Week IX Blog Forum

Topic I: Music's Influence

1) Has someone tried to "protect" me from the "corrupting influence" of music? Not really. My mother has never really had a problem with what I listen too in regards to music (though my tastes might have something to do with that, but I'll get there). She might not like what I listen too herself, but she's never told me there were artists I could not listen too because of their music's "corrupting influence". The closest Mum ever came to that was telling me that I could not listen to some songs because they had liberal profanity, which I guess counts since she probably did not want me swearing like a sailor at the ripe age of seven; but then again I feel like that not quite the same as fearing the music would turn me into a delinquent. 

2) When Mum told me I could not listen to certain song, which were only a few, I didn't really think too hard about it. I just accepted and moved on to another song that I could listen to. 

3) My favorite music genre and artists? That's... hard to pin down. My favorite music genres are easy, classical, opera (even if I cannot understand it half the time), sea shanties, ballads (I actually have book of them), show-tunes/musical numbers, marching/historical music, whatever this counts as... parodies of any of those genres... yeah my tastes in music is as varied as my taste in much anything else, my Spotify playlist is so varied it can't even recommend anything because the algorithm gets confused. I don't really have any favorite artists either, its more about the genre for me, I don't really care who sings it; as long as they actually can sing without needing to be auto-tuned to high heaven I'll probably enjoy it. I'll admit I've enjoyed Alan Menken's music for the various Disney film he worked on and his work on the TV show Galavant. I also enjoy Daniel Ingram's song-work on the current incarnation of My Little Pony, if I ever make a TV show that's a musical I want him writing the songs.

Topic II: Campus Radio

1) This is the first I've heard of the idea of a Campus Radio station being thrown about. I'll admit it could be a fun time for those who want to take part, or listen to what the station offers. That said, I have no idea how feasible it is because I don't know what all must go into making a radio station, outside of the required radio tower (or whatever transmitter we use today, but I think it is still a radio tower). 

2) Two programs or formats? Perhaps one of them could be a podcast of sorts? Podcasts at large have sort of become the replacement for the radio show, save that you can usually watch/listen to podcasts more than once. Another option could be an ongoing scripted audio drama series, I'm sure there plenty of students (theatre majors or otherwise) who would be interested in trying out the voice acting that comes with such a program. And there are those students who want to be scriptwriters and could pen the scripts for each episode (I should know, I took a script writing class last term with about 20 other people and plan to do so again in winter).

3) Fund raising? Without bake sales? Well crap, that is the only kind of fundraiser I have ever organized myself. All others were planned by other people. If bake sales are off the table, the only other fundraisers I can immediately think of are plant sales or car washes, but I doubt that will get much of the needed money. Maybe hold a dinner catered by the student chefs? That might work.

2 comments:

  1. Ian
    You constantly make me laugh! Your take on the fund raising cracks me up. I really do like the idea about the a dinner catered by the student chefs. I hadn’t thought about that. It would also gain the support of the whole school and include many more people. I have to admit I really like sea shanties too, my grandfather was in the Navy and Coast Guard, so as you can imagine I learned a few growing up.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing came to mind for me either about personally being protected from music's harmful ways. I guess we agree that anytime my parents spoke out about not liking particular language by a certain artist or something I never really thought about it twice. Frankly there is so much music available in the world its no skin off my back to just skip to the next song.

    ReplyDelete

JN201 Week IX Blog Forum

Topic I: Music's Influence 1) Has someone tried to "protect" me from the "corrupting influence" of music? Not r...