Monday, July 30, 2018

JN201 Week VI Blog Forum

Notice:
This blog post is going to be a lot shorter than the previous ones, primary because I don't know much about this week's topic, hate this week's topic, and personally don't enjoy talking about this week's topic. If I don't post anything though I'll get a zero, and that is just unacceptable. 

Anyway...

Topic I: Newspapers

1) I live in a small town where jack-all happens. If anything does happen you'll usually hear about it through either word of mouth, or you'll be there to see it first hand. I've done both. One time I watch a guy who took a baseball bat to someone in the library get arrested downtown (the library is right next to both the Sheriff's office and police department building). Another time I heard from a friend of mine that someone in a neighboring town literally blew up his house with an errant cigarette.  Local news plays little in my daily life (partially because so little happens), and I know those two stories are true because I was there for the first one and saw the aftermath of the second.

2) No I don't subscribe to any online newspapers. I simply have no interest in having one, nor the money to sustain one if I wanted to. 

3) I'm probably a three, maybe a three point five. I'm a bit more informed in some areas than in others. I can tell you which month Wreck-it-Ralph 2 comes out (November; which reminds me, I need to see the first one), but I could not tell what Congress decided not to agree on last time they were in session.

Topic II: Fake News

As if the last topic was not one I hated enough...

1) No I don't agree with the mutated cheeto man when he claims certain stories are fake. Primarily because 1, he's too consistent with which stories or news groups he calls that (you never hear him talk about Fox News the way he talks about CNN or the NY Times, so he's very clearly picking on whoever is not stroking his ego); and 2, most of the stories he claims are "fake" are things that, if proven true, could get him in serious trouble. Unless your in an action movie trying to hunt down the real perpetrator, the innocent usually don't vehemently deny things in such a way that makes them look even more guilty. 

2) Yes, yes he is; or he's at least trying to, whether or not he's actually succeeding depends on who you ask. 

3) I can't. I don't know enough and that is one rabbit hole I refuse to go down. It's pretty much a cavalcade of yelling and nonsense to me. I will say though that this whole mess has caused a lot of Americans to start double checking where their information is coming from, so that might end up being a good thing.


Note
I cannot help but find it ironic that I hate discussing real world journalism and news when a few characters (one of them a main character) I've come up with are journalists themselves (albeit more along the lines of The Daily Show's correspondents than CNN's).

No comments:

Post a Comment

JN201 Week IX Blog Forum

Topic I: Music's Influence 1) Has someone tried to "protect" me from the "corrupting influence" of music? Not r...